The surge in online gaming has seen a flock of newbies take to the novelty and an increasing number of people are looking to get online to entertain themselves. The advent of tablets, smartphones and public Wi-Fi spots as only aided the phenomenon. Though, if you’re new to it, it can be hard to know where to start so we’ve complied a guide of five gets to kick you off.
- A Dark Room is the ideal game to familiarise yourself with games that require logistics. It’s a text and menu driven adventure in which you must construct and maintain a successful community in a difficult environment. You’ll need logistics and supply managements to keep your community ticking over, you must also be wary of animal attacks as your adventure isn’t all that easy and can prove quite gruelling. It’s certainly a fun and interesting game that can prove tense at times. You are able to save progress in your browser so you can continue at a later date.
- Online gambling has grown in popularity alongside online gaming, which kind of makes sense. Whether it’s a bet on the football, the next horse, a dabble on the bingo are few rounds in the casino, there are endless ways to gamble online. Online casinos such as playcosmo.com great fun as the sheer range of games they offer means you won’t get bored. What’s better is that most casinos offer a ton of great sign up offers which means if you are just starting to play online, the casino you choose will more than likely reward your for choosing them.
- Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) are hugely popular online and allow you to connect with people from around the globe. Rift is set in a world that is being destroyed by mystical energies. You can play as either a Guardian or a Defiant in your quest to gain control of the planes of Telara and are able to choose from 40 unique souls to create your custom class. The best thing about Rift is the game’s never-ending ability to spring a surprise whether it’s a warrior’s untold power or invasions of extra-planar beings determined to destroy everything.
- Last Horizon is similar to A Dark Room in the sense that you must regain control. You act as the lone survivor of a failed civilisation that has completed depleted its planet of resources. You will be sprung onto planets where must take their oxygen and fuel to stay alive and create a new home with your stolen goods. Though it’s not as easy as that, you must dodge the comets and black holes whilst fending off the unimpressed aliens.
- Regardless of your familiarity with online gaming, you have more than likely heard of Minecraft. Minicraft (pictured above) is an independent version and is great fun and is very popular over social networking sites such as Facebook so you may even be able to play with someone you know. The game centres around creativity and allows you to build your own world out of textured cubes in a 3D world. Though that’s not all, you can also roam around and explore as well as combating enemies and gathering helpful materials to better your constructions.