In recent years online gaming has exploded into one of the most lucrative industries around today, not just for the developers responsible for creating these games, but for the players themselves. A boom in the popularity of mobile gaming, the emergence of 4G and superfast broadband capabilities as well as E-sports gaining acceptance as a legitimate sporting endeavour have created a perfect storm of opportunity for the games industry.
To research exactly how well this industry is fairing financially, and the market share the industry currently holds, web hosting experts 100TB have created a new infographic to help visualise the monetary value of this booming industry.
With millions of people logging on to play every single day, it was a safe bet that the people behind these games were making money, but the sheer size of some of the figures may very well shock you.
- Tencent games has a market cap of around $246 billion, making it the biggest gaming company in the world.
- $36.9 billion of the online gaming market share is estimated to originate from the mobile market.
- League of legends is the most popular online game with an estimated 27 million active players every day. In 2014 the games earned $1.3 billion in digital revenue.
- eSports continues to rise in popularity, with global revenue expected to reach $1.1 billion in 2018.
- Saahil Arora, a pro gamer known as UNiVeRsE has earned $2,631,245 playing online battle arena game Dota 2
Provided by 100tb.com